La Purisima Mission
The most preserved and treasured mission in California, La Purisima Mission is home to vast landscapes where the indigenous Chumash Indians and Spanish settlers resided. The mission land was founded in 1787, and originally stretched over 470 square miles of beautiful California countryside. The formal title of the mission, Misión La Purisima Concepción De Maria Santisima, translates to Mission of the Immaculate Conecption of the Most Holy Mary. The mission lands mark the location where large numbers of the Chumash Indians were baptized into the Catholic Church and the beginning of a prosperous community filled with adobe buildings and extensive farmland.
La Purisima Mission Events
A day trip to La Purisima Mission will be full of stunning views and enjoyable exploration. Depending on when you visit, there may even be an event scheduled! La Purisima hosts a variety of annual events that highlight the cultural value of the grounds and often feature hands-on activities and live performances.
December 8th marks the birth of the La Purisima Mission. The annual celebration includes a mass held in the main church, as well as concerts and refreshments. Founding Day is a day-long event that will immerse visitors in the culture and lifestyle of the Mission.
Other events include:
- Mission Life Days: Visit La Purisima and get a hands-on experience of the lifestyle lead by those who flourished on the mission. Try your hand at candle and soap making, pottery, and more crafts! 2016 Mission Life Days will take place on 3/19, 4/23, and 7/23.
- Village Days: Experience community life at La Purisima! Village Days include the observation of the unique mix of Chumash and Spanish Colonial cultures that developed after the mission's inception. 2016 Village Days will take place on 8/27 and 11/5.
- Purisima's People Day: See live re-enactors emulate a live portrayal of a La Purisima Village! 2016 People Days will take place on 3/5, 5/7, 7/9, and 9/10.
Visit the La Purisima events schedule for more information.
Visiting La Purisima
Embassy Suites by Hilton Lompoc Central Coast is the ideal lodging choice for visiting La Purisima Mission. Take advantage of great amenities such as complimentary WiFi, recreation and fitness facilities, and more as you plan your La Purisima outing.
Directions from Embassy Suites by Hilton Lompoc - Central Coast
- Head north on CA-1 N/N H St for 1.5 miles
- Exit CA-1 N/N H St onto Purisima Rd
- Follow Purisima Rd for 2.1 miles, and the La Purisima Mission will be on your left upon arrival
Know Before You Go
- While Mission entry is free of charge, parking is $6 for private vehicles, $50 for buses with 10 to 24 passengers, and $100 for buses with more than 25 passengers.
- The La Purisima Mission visitor center is open from 10:00am to 4:00pm on Tuesday through Sunday, and 11:00am through 3:00pm on Monday.